This blog has just been migrated to a newer and (much) faster host node running Proxmox 5 with ZFS.
Therefore, I was looking for the best method to migrate a WordPress blog to another server (and/or database and/or directory and/or URL).
Do you remember the times when migrating a WordPress blog was rather tedious, involving many manual steps, despite (other) handy tools like WP-CLI? Apparently, this is no longer needed, as all you need is the following plugin:
This plugin’s export and import functionality takes care of all the required configuration and path adjustments, allowing you to easily migrate a blog with up to 512 MB data. The steps are thus:
- Install the All-in-One WP Migration plugin on your current WordPress site
- Use the plugin to export all your data, plugins, themes, configuration etc., e.g. as a downloadable file.
Note: In particularly tricky cases you can also manually replace certain strings in the db or exclude specific data and files.
- Setup a new vanilla WordPress installation at another location (server, directory). You’ll need a database and the WP installation files for this.
- Install the All-in-One WP Migration plugin on your new WordPress site
- Use the plugin on your new site to import the previously exported data from your old site
It’s hard to believe, but that’s really it!