About

Hi, I’m Daniel Mettler (Twitter profile, Xing profile, LinkedIn profile, Facebook profile), a Swiss MSc. CS/IT living in Zurich, Switzerland. Originally, this page used to be a simple changelog (hence its name), allowing visitors to keep track of version changes in released software and other news on the web site. Later it grew into a “true” personal weblog, first served by Movabletype, later by WordPress (till today).

To get an idea of the topics this blog is about, please take a look at the categories list and the tag cloud on the right. The main focus is on blogging about computer science, IT and technology, particularly related to open source software, Linux and Mac OS X.

The syndication feeds of this blog to subscribe to:

Have fun reading and thanks for contributing!

2 Replies to “About”

  1. Hi Daniel-

    I read your post from August of 2014 where you created a t-prot package for Homebrew. I have used your example and done this as well, but t-prot will not run on my MacBook (OSX Yosemite) as it fails with:

    Can't locate Locale/gettext.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Locale::gettext module) (@INC contains: /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.18 /Network/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.18 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.2 /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.18 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18 .) at /usr/local/bin/t-prot line 1147

    Did you have to install a different version of Perl on your Mac to get this to work or some other library?

    Thanks.

    1. Hi Trey

      I did some tests on my development MBP with Mac OS X Yosemite. According to t-prot’s source code, it requires the Locale::gettext Perl module at runtime if you use t-prot with mutt and either have set any of your system’s locale environment variables (LC_ALL or LC_MESSAGES or LANG -> check the output of “set”) to any other value than “” (empty, i.e. none of the variables is set), “C” or “POSIX” or if you explicitly set any divergent locale using t-prot’s –locale= command line option.

      ..
      --locale=LOCALE internationalization; currently only used with -Mmutt
      ..
      my $locale = $ENV{'LC_ALL'}?$ENV{'LC_ALL'}:
      ($ENV{'LC_MESSAGES'}?$ENV{'LC_MESSAGES'}:$ENV{'LANG'});
      ..
      if (!Getopt::Long::GetOptions(
      ..
      'locale=s' => \$locale,
      ..
      if ($mua eq 'mutt' || $mua eq 'mutt-kz') {
      if (defined $locale &&
      $locale ne '' && $locale ne 'C' && $locale ne 'POSIX') {
      eval { require Locale::gettext; };
      ..

      As a workaround for your issue, you could thus try using the following line:

      set display_filter="t-prot -cemt -M=mutt --locale=C"

      instead of

      set display_filter="t-prot -cemt -M=mutt"

      in your .muttrc.

      I use the Perl version shipped with Yosemite (same as you) and though it doesn’t come with GNU gettext, it comes with the BSD gettext tools pre-installed, which should be just fine for t-prot.

      So, if you don’t see any of the following files on your system:

      /usr/bin/xgettext.pl
      /usr/bin/xgettext5.16.pl
      /usr/bin/xgettext5.18.pl

      Something might be messed up with your Yosemite’s Perl i.e. its BSD gettext tools. Or maybe you installed Homebrew’s GNU gettext system-wide (which is not the default – by default, it’s keg-only) on top of Yosemite’s BSD gettext, which can cause problems. In that case, you could try uninstalling Homebrew’s gettext

      $ brew uninstall gettext

      and remove any broken links in /usr/local/bin that still point to the deinstalled GNU gettext.

      P.S. I hope you don’t mind if I move these comments to the original post later.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.